Jeremy Jenkins is the Assistant Principal. New Teachers include Ms. Amber Kappelman
(8th grade language arts/ss), Mr. Ted Wargo (8th grade
language arts/ss), Machaela Copeland (5th grade special education –resource).
Air Conditioning: Throughout the summer, you may have noticed a lot of construction happening at NL. Crews have been working diligently in an effort to get air conditioning placed throughout the building… which leads us to the next changes.
Early Dismissal: In the past, District 44 has run on an early dismissal schedule at the beginning of the year due to heat. Because all buildings currently have air conditioning, we will no longer have a “heat schedule” the first two weeks of school. Early dismissal will continue to be
1) 1. RtI process (see handbook and website for more details)
2) 2. Social emotional learning program (see website for more details)
1) Social Studies will be separate from
language arts at the 7th and 8th grade level so that
students are not with the same teacher and students for all three of those
2) Differentiation (changing
instruction/assessment to meet student needs) has always been used by teachers
because there is a wide variety of ability in each classroom. It is very common to adjust curriculum for students
who struggle. Although we will continue to differentiate for students having
difficulty, our differentiation focus this year will be to challenge all
students by increasing higher level materials as well.
Discipline: (please see the handbook for more details)
1) Phones & speakers …If the student must bring a phone, it needs to be kept locked in his/her locker during the school day. If a phone is seen (even if it is off and in a pocket), it will be confiscated and taken to the office where a parent will need to pick it up. Students may ask permission if a call is necessary. Office phones may also be used for emergencies. Another phone reminder… phones must be turned off while in the school building (or bus). Students may use phones before/after school outside the building (or bus) only.
and earphones may not
be worn in the school building.
3) Students involved in fights may be charged with disorderly